Health and Wellbeing

Many of us leave the Services with long-term injuries; mostly physical, but sometimes psychological.  And the system in civilian life is much more complicated than turning up to sick parade and then doing as you are told.  But while it often takes much longer than we have been used to, it doesn’t need to because the NHS has promised to fast-track Veterans with service-related conditions. 

The first thing you will need to do when you leave the Services is find a GP; you will find most GPs in Scotland in this section.  If you don't currently have a doctor, use the GP locator to find one in your area.  

 Apart from the NHS, there are many Veteran-focussed charities ready to help, so make use of them if you need to.  You will find their details here too, so please explore this section; it has a lot to offer.

Priority treatment within the NHS in Scotland for a service related condition

Under long-standing arrangements since 1953, war pensioners are given priority NHS treatment for the conditions for which they receive a war pension or gratuity, unless there is an emergency case or another case that demands clinical priority. These priority treatment provisions were then extended to all veterans who have a condition that is likely to be related to their service.

As a result, veterans should receive priority treatment for health problems as a result of service to their country, unless there is an emergency case or another case that demands clinical priority.

Veterans should not be given priority treatment for conditions unrelated to service in the armed forces.

Further information is available via the link Here


Self-help Guides

There are a number of organisations that produce a variety of self-help guides, below are links to the NHS guides and leaflets that may be of help to the wider veterans community and those supporting and assisting them.

NHS Leaflets

These Leaflets cover a range of subjects and are delivered in a number of different formats (i.e. PDF, Video, Audio and British Sign Language)

NHS Scotland Self-help guides


Relaxation Techniques

Below is a link to a list of audio files of relaxation techniques that can help relieve stress and gain a sense of well-being.

Link Here>>

To refine your searches by local authorities choose from the form below and click search.

Newcastleton Health Centre

Mr. Gordon Blake - Practice Manager
Tel: 013873 75100 Fax: 013873 75109

Moss Road , Newcastleton TD9 0RU

Newland Medical Practice

Theresa Cameron - Practice Manager
Tel: 01506 655155 Fax: 01506 636263

Bathgate Primary Care Centre , Whitburn Road, Bathgate EH48 2SS

Newmains Health Centre

Tel: 01698 384482 Fax: 016983 89860

17 Manse Road , Newmains ML2 9AX

Newton Road

Newton Road , Lochranza KA27 8HQ

Newton Stewart Hospital

Tel: 01671 402015

Newton Stewart , Wigtownshire DG8 6LZ

NHS Lanarkshire (Armed Forces Champion)

Mr Craig Cunningham

NHS 24

John Turner - Chief Executive
Tel: 0141 3374501

Caledonia House , Fifty Pitches Road, Cardonald Park, Glasgow G51 4ED

NHS 24 (Armed Forces Champion)

Prof George Crooks

NHS 24 Emergency Social Work Service

Tel: 0800 731 6969

NHS Alcohol Zone

If you would like to know if you are drinking more alcohol than is healthy, then take part in our short questionnaire below (for people aged 16 years and over).

Depending on your final score, we will provide you with some helpful and reliable information on what to do next.

NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dr Wai Yin Hatton - Chief Executive
Tel: 0800 1691441

Boswell House , 10 Arthur Street, Ayr KA7 12G

NHS Ayrshire and Arran (Armed Forces Champion)

Dr Alison Graham - Executive Medical Director

NHS Ayrshire and Arran (Complaints and Advice Team)

- Complaints and Claims Manager
Tel: 01292 513 620 Fax: 01292 513665

PO Box 13, Eglinton House, Ailsa Hospital , Dalmellington Road, Ayr, Ayrshire KA6 6AB

NHS Ayrshire and Arran (Freedom of Information)

- Information Governance Officer
Tel: 01563 826112 Email:

Crosshouse Hospital , 28 Lister Street, Kilmarnock KA2 0BB

NHS Ayrshire and Arran (General Contacts)

Tel: 0800 169 1441

NHS Ayrshire and Arran (Media Enquiries)

- Communications Department
Tel: 01563 826111 Fax: 01563 826122 Email:

Crosshouse Hospital , 28 Lister Street, Kilmarnock KA2 0BB

NHS Borders

Calum Campbell - Chief Executive
Tel: 01896 825525

NHS Borders , Newstead, Melrose, Roxburghshire TD6 9DA

NHS Borders (Armed Forces Champion)

Mr Warwick Shaw

NHS Borders (Complaints and Advice Team)

- Complaints and Claims Officer
Tel: 01896 826719 Email:

NHS Borders, Borders General Hospital , Melrose, Roxburghshire TD6 9BS

NHS Borders (Freedom of Information)

Deborah Adams - Information Governance Officer

NHS Borders , Newstead, Melrose, Roxburghshire TD6 9DA

NHS Borders (General Contacts)

Tel: 01896 826000 Fax: 01896 825580; 01896 823396 (Safe Haven/Confidential) Email:

NHS Borders , Newstead, Melrose, Roxburghshire TD6 9DA

NHS Borders (Recruitment)

- Human Resources Department
Tel: 01896 826151 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm); 01896 827728 (other times) Email:

Borders General Hospital , Melrose, Roxburghshire TD6 9BS

NHS Drug Misuse

The first and most difficult step for people who misuse drugs is to recognise that they have a problem, and then admit that they need help to deal with it. Some people realise that they have a problem but find it hard to stop taking the drug, even though they are aware of the consequences. Others may need someone else to help them realise that they have a problem. Signs that a person may have a drug problem or addiction include: continually increasing the dose of drugs to get the same effect, a feeling of dependency on drugs or a fear of stopping using drugs, withdrawal symptoms if they stop taking the drug for a short time, sudden mood changes, a negative or changed outlook on life, a loss of motivation, poor performance at work or college, problems with personal relationships, borrowing or stealing money from friends and family, and being secretive about activities and actions.

Next steps See your GP as soon as you recognise you have a drug problem. They can give you advice and support and refer you for specialist treatment. Be honest with your GP about your drug use and your reasons for wanting to give it up. You may also want to tell close family and friends about your decision and ask them for their support. There are a number of organisations that offer information and advice, such as details of support groups and meetings in your area. FRANK provides a free, confidential helpline that offers information about drugs and drug abuse and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 0800 776600 or go to the FRANK website.

NHS Dumfries ( Armed Forces Champion)

Ms Michele McCoy

NHS Dumfries and Galloway

John Burns - Chief Executive
Tel: 01387 272702

Mid North, Crichton Hall , Glencaple Road, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire DG1 4TG

Showing 751 - 775 of 1327 Articles | Page 31 of 54