Please join us for our online celebration on Tuesday 22 June from 5:00-6:00pm
Hear key speakers and real-life stories, and a short talk from author Sir Michael Morpurgo, best-selling author of over 150 books, on the value of reading in forming and maintaining connections, followed by a reading from one of his books.
We began in Aldershot, home of the British Army, in 2011 – and ever since have been encouraging Forces families to read together to boost communication and remain close. We have given out over 160,000 reading scrapbooks and sent out more than 21,000 children’s books to British military families all over the world.
You will hear key speakers and real-life stories
- Introduction by Lord Blunkett of Brightside and Hillsborough (former Education Secretary and Home Secretary), one of our Reading Force trustees
- Special message from General Sir Nick Carter, Chief of the Defence Staff
- Jane Harsham from Annington, who will talk about their experience of sponsorship
- An update from the six members of our team on how key activities have benefitted individual Forces families
- Short talk from author Sir Michael Morpurgo, best-selling author of over 150 books, on the value of reading in forming and maintaining connections, followed by a reading from one of his books
- A round-up by Andrew Lloyd, former Chief Executive of Rushmoor Borough Council (includes Aldershot), who is a Reading Force trustee and has supported us from the very start
We very much hope you can join us at our virtual event to help us celebrate our 10 years.
Michael Morpurgo, is the former Children’s Laureate and best-selling author of over 150 books, including Private Peaceful, Kensuke’s Kingdom, The Butterfly Lion, and War Horse, which became a hugely successful production from the National Theatre and a movie by Steven Spielberg.