Scottish veterans can now benefit from a new rail card which not only allows a 34% discount on travel but also sees an introductory discount scheme.
The veterans rail card being introduced for purchase from today, initially priced at £21 per year, allows holders to travel across the country at reduced fares.
To encourage uptake, the Scottish Government is also funding a further discount scheme whereby anyone resident in Scotland registering between now and 31 March 2021 will be eligible for a £6 rail voucher making the initial cost just £15.
Michael Matheson, Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity said:
“The Scottish Government recognises and values the contribution our veterans have made to their country. Active members of our forces have benefited from discounted rail for some time now and it is only fitting that the Rail Delivery Group has now extended such a scheme to those who have given service in the past.
“That is why I am delighted to have authorised participation in this veterans rail card scheme, as well as confirming funding for an introductory discount for veterans resident in Scotland. “
Veterans Minister Graeme Dey said:
“We are committed to providing the best possible support for our veterans and their families, ensuring they can benefit from the same discounted travel as serving members of our Armed Forces.
“This commitment is part of our ongoing ambition to make Scotland the destination of choice for Service leavers and their families, offering high living standards, great job prospects and a society that recognises and values their contribution.”
- Veterans Railcards can be obtained by applying through the RDG website, telesales or via postal application.
- Scottish veterans’ name and address will be shared with ScotRail (Abellio Shared Service Centre) to issue a £6 National Rail Travel Voucher
- The Veterans Railcard will be available as a 1-year product for £21 until 31 March 2021 (after this date it retails at £30),
- A 3-year product is also available for £61 until 31 March 2021 (after this date it retails at £70).
- The card will offer 34% discount on Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak and Advance fares, with a Minimum fare of £12 applying Monday – Friday between 04:30 and 09:59, excluding public holidays and July and August.
- The cardholder can specify a named companion at time of purchase who will also receive 34% discount, but only when travelling with the cardholder.
- Up to 4 children aged 5-15 can also travel at 60% discount, but only when travelling with the cardholder.