0131 550 1561 office@veteransscotland.org.uk


Finding somewhere to live when we leave the Services is usually our highest priority.  Most of us find a home to buy or rent, but for some of us, disability or other problems can make the process difficult.  This section is aimed principally at such Veterans and provides access to organisations that aim to make a difficult process easier.

Veteran housing

When you leave the armed forces, the options for where you and your family can live include:

  • renting a property
  • buying a property
  • housing support
  • veteran housing charities
  • support if you are in danger of being or have been made homeless

Information about housing is available in the Scottish housing guide for people leaving the armed forces and ex-service personnel.

You can find general advice on leaving the armed forces in the GOV.UK Service Leavers Pack.

A housing guide for people leaving the armed forces and ex-service personnel

Deciding where to live is one of the most important choices you and your family will need to make on leaving the armed forces. It is never too early to think about where you will set up home. Whether you are due to leave in a year, a couple of months or have already left, there is support out there to help you.

The information contained in the recently updated "A Scottish housing guide for people leaving the Armed Forces & ex-Service personnel"  sets out some of your housing options in Scotland and also looks at some of the questions you might have. It also gives you information about where you can go for further advice and support.  A copy of the guide is available via the link below.

A Scottish housing guide for people leaving the Armed Forces & ex-Service personnel

Additional advice on housing

Shelter Scotland can also provide additional information on a wide range of housing and homeless issues that you may have.  They can provide information on finding a place to live, Renting right as well as information on eviction and repossession of your house/home and how to stop it.  Follow the link below to find out more about your options:


In this section you will find leaflets from Housing Options Scotland about the home buying process, benefits and many other leaflets that you might find useful. At the bottom of this section you will also find useful leaflets from other organisations.  If you cannot find what you are looking for please contact us and we will be happy to advise you in any way we can.

View Here

Scottish Housing Regulator

The Scottish Housing Regulator collect a range of financial and performance information about each landlord and the sector as a whole. We use this to monitor and assess landlord performance against the Scottish Social Housing Charter and to decide the level of engagement we need to have with each landlord.

Caledonia Housing Association

Tel: 0800 678 1228 Email: info@caledoniaha.co.uk

5 South St John’s Place , PERTH PH1 5SU

Citizens Advice Bureau Scotland

The advice and information provided by the bureau is highly regarded with decades of experience in delivering a free, independent, confidential and impartial advice and information services to the general public. They provide advice through face-to-face, telephone and email services, and online via our self- help advice on www.citizensadvice.org.uk .

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP) provides dedicated information, advice and support to members of    the Armed Forces Community in Scotland.

The service is provided by the Scottish Citizens Advice Bureau Service, and the funding group is led by Poppyscotland. We work closely with many organisations, both Service related and others, to provide support to the people who contact us.

Need advice? 

We provide free, confidential, impartial information, advice and support to people who:

  • are currently serving in the Armed Forces, either Regular or Reserve, or a dependant of someone who is
  • have served in the Armed Forces, either Regular or Reserve, or a dependant of someone who has
  • are members of the Merchant Navy who served in a commercial vessel in support of legally defined UK military operations, or a dependant.

Our advice covers a range of areas, including benefits, debt, employment, relationships and housing.

Get in touch

  • Ask us to call you.  You can use the Get Advice from ASAP form on either of the above websites to send us your contact details, and an adviser will give you a ring back between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • Visit your local bureau.


Disabled Person Housing Service

Shirley Finlayson
Tel: (01224) 810222 Email: info@dphsaberdeen.org

Top Floor , Raeden Court, Mid Stocket Road , Aberdeen, AB15 5PF

We provide a professional advice service to clients either in our office or home visits to disabled clients are available if they are unable to call in to see us.

Client details as well as their specific housing requirements are recorded on a registration form. We work closely with all local landlords and gather information on clients current housing needs of all their current and planned adapted, barrier free and wheelchair accessible properties. This enables us to ‘match’ our clients with the most suitable properties when they become available either to rent or to buy.

At the present time the majority of contact and property detail has come from social sector landlords including the local Council and the five leading Housing Associations in the City.

However, the DPHS Aberdeen is very keen to enter into discussion with private landlords who can provide information on their properties and these can be ‘matched’ with disabled people who are seeking this type of accommodation.



Eildon Housing Association

– Head Office
Tel: 03000200217

The Weaving Shed , Ettrick Mill, Dunsdale Road, Selkirk TD7 5EB


Erskine (Cottages)

Enquiries – Housing
Tel: 0141 812 1100

Bishopton , Renfrewshire PA7 5PU

Cottages for veterans and their families have been a feature of the Erskine estate for many years.


Erskine have a range of accommodation options available to Veterans from five Assisted Living flats and 44 cottages to four care home facilities. New to the portfolio is the Erskine Transitional Supported Accommodation (David Boyle Court), which supports Service leavers and Veterans whose life or transition plans had been disrupted.

We are offering accommodation in the David Boyle Court and wraparound support, so that Veterans have a mutual support base in which to reflect, reorientate and retrain before relocating to the region and employment of their choice – giving back to their community in the way we know they can.

This supported accommodation aims to provide a transition into long term housing and employment for service-leavers transferring from the military to civvy street, Veterans who have encountered difficulties shortly after leaving the military and Veterans who may be going through another transitional period of their post service life.

For transitioning Veterans living in the David Boyle Court, who need help to begin the next chapter of their lives, Erskine offers social, recreation and training facilities at the Erskine Reid Macewen Activity Centre (ERMAC).  They will also be offered a bespoke personal employability package tailored to suit their needs to help them move onto full-time employment and long-term suitable accommodation.

David Boyle Court is within a Veterans Village setting supporting Veterans of all ages.

Find out more here

Haig Homes

Tel: 0208 685 5777 Fax: 020 8685 5778

Alban Dobson House , Green Lane, Morden, Surrey SM4 5NS

Haig Homes is the leading UK-wide provider of rental housing for ex-Service people. Haig Homes has over 1,300 properties, including 75 in Scotland, situated on small well managed estates. The properties are a mix of family-sized houses, maisonettes and flats. The properties are for rental only. There are 65 homes in total on the Haig Homes estate in Edinburgh. The properties are all located in the same area and are in groups.


Hillcrest Housing Association

Tel: 0300 123 2640

55 Huntingtower Road , PERTH PH1 2LH